Trade and Investment Lawyer

Cross-border trade and investment involves intricate folds both; in commercial and legal aspects. For conducting, safe, swift and uninterrupted business across international borders, you need either separate business and legal advisers or a lawyer that specializes in international trade.

But, having to converse with a single adviser makes it less hectic, hands down. Our international trade lawyers work consistently work towards providing businesses with that convenience. 

Let us use our 30 years of experience to get you out of whatever you're facing!

Please fill out the form and we will get back to you shortly.

International Trade & Investment Lawyer Melbourne

International trade and investment partner matching is a rather complicated area of practice. We advice and assist our clients to conduct secure cross border business online through online marketplaces/exchanges and through traditional import/export channels.

When we sign a client for legal and strategical assistance in international trade/investment, we work exhaustively to understand their corporate profile, ambitions and characteristic features. This gives us a better understanding of the the general nature of their business and enables us to help them secure a trustworthy long-term partner.  

Upon having a clear picture of the whole business model and prospective expansion of the business across International borders, we use a specific approach to narrow down candidates that fit our client’s desired business criteria. Once the best candidates are found, we organize meetings of both parties and assist with the formalities of contracting and negotiating over the contract guidelines. 

Our lawyers are adept at and can provide Import/Export Legal Assistance with-


Most frequent questions and answers

Permission is required to export goods out of Australia. The Department of Home Affairs provides you with detailed information about restrictions, documentation, and prohibitions required for exporting products as well as information about where the relevant permit can be obtained. Agricultural products require administrative requirements to export out of Australia. Exporters need to go from many processes like premises registration, export permits, and health certificates to accompany export consignments.

You don’t need to pay any Good and Services Tax (GST) to export goods from Australia its GST-free. To know the detailed information about export service tax you can visit “Australian Tax Office” website. GST is charged on all imported goods, including internet purchases and mail order   in New Zealand, and is calculated on the customs value of the item, plus any freight, duty and insurance costs. To know the detailed information about import fees and charges, you can visit the “New Zealand Customs Service” website.


To export, import hazardous waste, as defined under the Hazardous Waste Act, you need to first apply for permission from the Department of the Environment and Energy. The permission for Hazardous waste will also depend upon the type of waste and also the countries of destination (export) and origin (import).

Firstly you need to take permission from the Australian Government to import and export prohibited goods to and from Australia. Goods such as Drugs, Medicines and Therapeutic Substances and Hazardous goods are under absolute prohibition and are not allowed to be imported in Australia in any circumstance. Without taking written permission or licence, if you import or export prohibited goods, you could face penalties of up to 525,000 AUD or 10 years of imprisonment or both and your goods may be seized.


Non-Australian Citizen can buy property in Australia, but there are some restrictions to consider. Before buying a property they must get approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB). As a Non-Australian Citizen, you can buy established property ( as a home ), but it must be your primary residence.

FIRB stands for “Foreign Investment Review Board”. It is a department that comes under the Australian Government, which assesses applications from foreigners who would like to buy a home or invest in Australia. FIRB generally takes 30 days or more than that (depending on the circumstances) to approve the applications.

Non Resident Investors need to take approval from FIRB and should notify them before buying or acquiring an interest of 20% or more, in a business valued at over $252 million. The above requirement to buy a business in Australia is only for foreign investors and temporary residents and doesn’t apply to Permanent residents, Australian Citizens, Australian expats, and New Zealand citizens.

Aries Lawyers

Our goal is to help people in the best way possible. this is a basic principle in every case and cause for success. contact us today for a free consultation.